What do complex processes like performing an audit have in common with the nuts and bolts business of, say, assembling a car or manufacturing a mobile phone? Perhaps more than you might imagine at first glance. So if you haven’t yet considered the advantages of automating the audit process, maybe now’s the time to do so.
The benefits of audit automation
Although the word itself was first recorded in the 1940s, manufacturers have been exploiting the principles of automation for centuries, from the water-powered textile mills of the late 18th century to the steam-powered metal working factories of the Victorian era.
The benefits of automation to manufacturing are long established and well understood and they're generally reported to include:
- Increased productivity
- Improved product quality
- Improved consistency of the manufacturing processes and therefore of the final product
- A reduction in human effort and costs
But couldn’t the same be said about software which automates a complex process like an audit? Take, for example, the Wolters Kluwer CCH Audit Automation software:
- It increases productivity, allowing staff to get more done in less time. Paperless audits, for example, make information easier and quicker to find.
- It can improve the quality of the audit by helping you to identify and record risk at every stage of the audit. The integrated document management functions in CCH Audit Automation certainly make it easier to meet the increasing requirement for more audit documentation.
- Its editable templates certainly improve the consistency of audits, but they also allow individuals to tailor the audit to suit their own way of working.
- All of which results in a significant reduction in human effort and cost, especially in year two and beyond, when data can be rolled forward from previous years.
Of course, audit automation software is no substitute for professional judgement – the software must support auditors rather than restrict them – but properly designed and implemented software can undoubtedly help busy auditors to do their jobs to the very best of their abilities.
Want to know more?
- Download this infographic on the automation of the audit process
- Read about CCH Audit Automation and book your personal demonstration of the software